Saturday, March 8, 2014

Meet Beary







Every time I go to a consignment sale (which is once in spring and once in fall usually), Serif gets to pick out a toy. Today was half price day at the Brentwood YMCA and so I took him to see what they had. He immediately spotted a transformer looking guy and wouldn't out it down. He loved it. So I had him hold on to it while I looked through the clothes. As I neared the end, he saw this pull string bear laying on the girls toy table. He was instantly hooked to thing and told me that we needed to get it for the new baby. I told him we didn't need it and to put it back then sort of blew him off. I went back to looking at clothes when I feel his head rub against my stomach. I look down and he's standing there with the bear. Once again I told him I'd rather not get it and said we'd find another one. As I was talking I could see that his eyes were filling with tears, his lip was trying really hard to stay in. He says to me, "but mommy, i really want her to have this and the bear is going to be so sad because it really wants to go home with us. I want this to be her first present when she's born." Then he continues, "when she's scared at night she can pull this string and then she won't be scared anymore because it will play this music."

Okay, so I credit the bears feelings to the book Corduroy but how could I pass up his deep passion for this bear? Yes he begs for things but I've not seen him get emotional and passionate like that over a toy and especially not over something that is not even for him! Needless to say by the photo, we bought the bear. He named it Beary while we were in the car.

He has been more attached to this bear than his transformer toy. He told me that he was going to sleep with it every night until the baby comes. Then when she's born he's going to give it to her at the hospital. He said that any time she gets scared then he'll go in there and pull the string for her so it'll soothe her. He is truly the sweetest boy. This is going to be one lucky little girl to have such a good big brother.


Tonight, he snuggled with Beary as we read stories. He'd pull her string at the beginning of each book then at the end of the last be (we only read two). At me point he stuck the bear up to my chest and said it wanted to hug me. As the bear laid there playing "go to sleep," the baby started moving around. I told him what she was doing and explained that she can hear things now. We moved the bear down to my belly and he just watched and rubbed my stomach until the song went off. Such a sweet moment.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment