We just read our bed-time books and turned out the moonlight to lay down and go to sleep. I put my arm around Serif and began to pray with him. Before I finished my prayer Serif asked, "Mommy, where does Jesus live?" It took me by surprise. I told him he lived in heaven and I began to explain how high we were in the plane when we went to Florida. I told him heaven was even higher than that! He got wide eyed and then said, but where is he with me . . . and you . . . here? I was dumbfounded that his little mind was thinking about all of this. I put my hand over his chest and told him that Jesus is in his heart and my heart and daddy's heart. I said that he watches over us all the time and just as his bible verse says, "Jesus is always with us." He smiled and said, "Yeah!" and he laid back down and covered up to go to sleep.
It's weird to think about him getting old enough to start all these questions. I pray I give him good direction and solid quick answers. I'm big on analogies and try to explain things to him as clearly as I can in terms that I feel he will grasp on to. The story of Christ is tough to explain. It's simple really but somehow feels complicated when trying to decipher the details to a three year old.
Before our last story tonight I clipped his nails. In effort to get his mind off the clipping, I told him to tell me a story. He immediately told me about the "mean guys that were mean to Jesus and they died him on the cross." I asked what happened next and he said, "Jesus needed a really big band-aid for his died." I asked him if he knew the next part of the story. He thought a minute and said no. I explained the resurrection to him and told him how good God is to us and how thankful we are that he takes such good care of us. Perhaps this is what triggered the conversation about where he lives. I don't know but am glad he's inquisitive and asking the questions.
God, give me wisdom and words. - Amen.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment