Tuesday, December 27, 2011

New Skates


Serif got roller blades from Uncle Don and Aunt Shannon this Christmas. He's loving them and is picking it up pretty quickly. When we got home Christmas night he wanted to wear them. He was doing great until all of a sudden he got a little discouraged. He fell several times in a row and would try to "fall like Pekka." He suddenly bursted in to tears. I went to him and asked him what was wrong. "Are you hurt or just frustrated?" He cleared up a minute and said, "When I get really really tall then I can fall like Pekka." It was so sweet and so sad at the same time. I felt terrible for the little guy. He's been "falling like Pekka" for a long time and I hated to see him discouraged. I had a talk with him and explained that even Pekka had to practice a lot and that he was not always able to block that goal like he does now. I also explained to him that when he (Serif) was a little and just starting to play hockey that he couldn't always hit the puck, but after all this practice, he's doing great and can hit that puck really well. I think that helped. He got back on the hardwoods ("the ice") and tried again. I was very proud.

Serif and Jeff will start ice skating lessons in January. I think he's going to do really well.

1 comment:

  1. pleeeeeaase don't torture me with this awesomest story ever. what a special conversation. pekka himself would probably love this story. you are the best parents ever. lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete